We LOVE our patients, but we are not tone-deaf to the fact that they would rather not see us. The fact is, more people view going to the dentist as a chore. Many people even dread it. We don’t want our patients to dread seeing us. We also don’t want to see you for more than your regularly scheduled appointments. With that in mind that we have put together a few ideas to prevent extra trips to the dental office. Here’s how to keep your dental visits to regular checkups.
This is How to Keep Your Dental Visits to Regular Check Ups
- Most importantly, You must Brush twice a day and Floss once. This is seriously the best, oldest and easiest thing to do. Plus, it is the most effective way to avoid unplanned visits to the dentist.
- Mouth Guard. If you are playing sports, wear a mouth guard. We have written about this before in our blog, but this bears repeating. Mouth guards save teeth. If you participate in any high impact sports, get one.
- Check your Brushing and Flossing Technique. Are you massaging along the gum line? Are you brushing at a 45 degree angle to your teeth and gums? It sounds weird, but a lot of people do not brush or floss properly. Technique is key in getting the most out of your brushing and flossing. Are you flossing below the gum line? Do not just break through the contacts of the teeth, but get that floss down under the gum line. The more you curve the floss like a C shape, the better job you will do with your flossing. If you are having a hard time with an area, make sure you discuss it with your Hygienist at your regular check ups so she can help you with the area.
- Then, it is important to get the right Tools. Dental supplies are not all created equal. Not every dental supply works for everyone either. Several Must Haves are: Soft bristled tooth brush, floss and an ADA approved tooth paste that has fluoride in it. Again, discuss your needs with your Hygienist. There are floss handles, special little brushes and a threader to get your floss under bridges available for our patients to use.
- Also, critical is to watch your diet – a high sugar, highly acidic, high in carbohydrate diet will create more acids in your mouth which makes cavities. All the work cleaning your mouth out will not counteract the amount of acid in your mouth if you are constantly munching on carbohydrates or drinking soda all day.
Lastly, Come in for your regular cleanings and check ups. This will enable your Dentist and Hygienist to find problem areas early and prevent emergency visits.
All this will not guarantee that you won’t end up heading to the dentist for unexpected work, but it will go a long way in preventing it! Follow our recommendations of how to keep your dental visits to regular check ups and stay healthy. We hope to see you soon, at your regular check up!