We are dedicating this month on the blog to talking about the upcoming Halloween holiday. This is if we are being honest, not our favorite holiday. We’re all for fun and the occasional treat, but too much candy can land you in our office for an unscheduled visit. We and you do not want that!
For starters, you should know that your mouth is full of bacteria. Good bacteria. Bacteria that help break down the foods that you eat. When you bite into something, you teeth mash it. The bacteria in your mouth go about breaking it down even further.
You should also know that this process continues even after you’re done eating. A lot – not the majority, but a lot – of what you eat gets stuck in the crevices in your mouth. This is the stuff that the bacteria attack and break down.
Here’s where candy and sugar become problematic: Those same bacteria that help you break down food happen to break sugars into acids. Those acids are what can damage your teeth.
Imagine you’ve just eaten a candy bar: You chew and most of it goes down. But you can still taste some little bits in your teeth. That stuff is just hanging out there, getting converted into other stuff that will slowly, over time, damage your teeth.
This is why sticky candies, like caramels, are particularly bad for your teeth. The longer the sugars have to linger in your mouth, the more chance the bacteria have to convert them to dental-damaging acids.
There are a few things you can do to prevent damage to your teeth from sugar:
Candy can be tasty, but remember, you only have one set of teeth. Trust us when we say, the real things are much better than replacements.